2012/5/24 Andrew Pullins <android2772@gmail.com>

Mirek,

It's not that much different, click home or click menu > home. Wow what a
pain that was I had to tap twice.

It is a bother, because you're not used to it. It's as if clicking the
"Maximize" button on a window in LibreOffice gave you a menu every time,
with one of the items in the menu being "Maximize". It's bothersome to
have
to tap twice when in every other app you just tap once.

its not not going to bother people

Exactly (though I assume you didn't actually mean that double-negative).

First Window$ has that to. Second windows has had many many yeas to
ingrain
things into users minds. These tablets have not even been out an entire
decade. Who knows google may even change the HIG to this new way of
navigating. Some apps have already adopted the Facebook menu and I
think
many more will and soon that will not be so alien.

The HIG is there for a reason -- to maintain consistency across the
platform. Android's HIG has been released only recently and not all app
developers have had time to adjust their UIs to it. That doesn't mean we
should respect it. If app developers choose not to respect it, Android
will be a mess of
different UIs.

On the Mac, all apps have menubars at the top. On Windows, they have them
below the title bar. There are advantages to both. In order to maintain
consistency, LibreOffice has menubars below the title bar on Windows and
at
the top of the screen on the Mac. Think how annoying it would be if
LibreOffice put your menus below the titlebar on the Mac when every other
app has them at the top of the screen.

this is still completely different, tablet and phone OS's have not been out
very long(this includes Android, iOS, blackberry, webOS all of them) there
is no best way to do things and things will change all the time till
everyone(not Google and apple but the app developers) decide how we are
going to do things.

No, the developers don't get to decide. They need to follow the HIG --
that's what it's for.
It doesn't matter if the platform is new.
Actually, if it is, then it's even more important to follow the HIG. if
developers don't, it's going to be one mess of a platform.

the iOS just stole Androids notification menu, Android just stole the
webOS's multitasking menu. Im sure that every one is taking ideas form
everyone and things are going to change.

None of these change the GUI of an application.
It's very likely that there aren't going to be huge HIG changes for Android
coming. With Android 3 and 4, Google has invested a lot of time and effort
into Android design, and the HIG is the fruit of that.

Facebook once did have a home screen and it was horrible.

Then they designed it badly.

the side bar or the home screen?

The home screen.

Frankly, the Facebook sidebar could be easily turned into a separate
screen

thats what I said, everything in the home screen is now in the side bar and
much, much more.

I meant that if the Facebook app removed the sliver of content on the right
side of the screen, the sidebar would be a screen in its own worth.
http://alexanderblom.se/images/facebook-ios.jpeg

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS485&biw=1280&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=QzV68I9CPGyL6M:&imgrefurl=http://www.askdavetaylor.com/access_facebook_fan_pages_on_apple_iphone.html&docid=9curbUzGAAQTZM&imgurl=http://www.askdavetaylor.com/4-blog-pics/facebook-iphone-home-screen.png&w=320&h=480&ei=QH29T73SCMiI6AHSv7w0&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=157&sig=109770077488246810252&page=1&tbnh=128&tbnw=86&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:78&tx=39&ty=78

-- it wouldn't be that different The Google+ app has a homescreen. It's
especially awesome on its new iOS release (

http://theflickcast.com/wp-content/uploads//google-plus-ios-new.jpgcoming
soon to Android as well).

this link shows nothing?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/google-mobile-app-with-sense-and-soul.html

does the "Home" button in this picture switch to the second screen?
http://theflickcast.com/wp-content/uploads//google-plus-ios-new.jpg

then they once again do not follow their own HIG.

The "Stream" button uses a home icon and goes to the stream.
The "Up" button isn't meant to take you "Home", it's meant to take you
"Up", to the parent screen.
From Google's own design guidelines:
"The Up button is used to navigate within an app based on the hierarchical
relationships between screens. For instance, if screen A displays a list of
items, and selecting an item leads to screen B (which presents that item in
more detail), then screen B should offer an Up button that returns to
screen A.

If a screen is the topmost one in an app (that is, the app's home), it
should not present an Up button."

Because of that, it's acceptable (though not ideal) that Facebook uses
this sidebar
instead.

I think it was the best solution.

However, LibreOffice does have a true homescreeen, a true overview --
the
file manager. And that's the screen the Up button should go to.

Are you talking about the phones back arrow or the home button? Because
the
up button sounds weird.

http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/navigation.html

yes Iv seen this many many times. you post it every time we talk anything
Android. its quite confusing as well, the "Home" or "UP" button does not
always go to the HOME page.

Right. It's not the home button, it shouldn't go to the home page.
It's the Up button. It should go up in hierarchy, which it always does.

"You have the ability to make the Up behavior even smarter based on your
knowledge of detail view. Extending the Play Store example from above,
imagine the user has navigated from the last Book viewed to the details for
the Movie adaptation. In that case, Up can return to a container (Movies)
which the user hasn't previously navigated through."

that would confuse me only every time it happens. especially seance it
would not happen much.

It's not confusing once you understand the button means "Up", not "Back" or
"Home".

The file manager shouldn't take any longer to load. The buttons on it
should load immediately and the thumbnails of documents should load
afterwards.

Yah it shouldn't bit most likely ummm will... Even if you make it work
the
way you say.

It will take exactly the same time to load if the thumbnails aren't
loaded
up front.

then why does it even matter.

You say that the advantage of a sidebar would be that it would load much
faster than the file manager.
I'm saying that it wouldn't.

That's actually the worst part -- the user wouldn't know where to look
for
his tools.
If we follow the HIG, then every button has its rightful place and
the
user
knows where to look for it.

Ok out of all my apps on my phone only tree of them had some kind of
overflow menu. One being gmail witch is one of nine google
applications.
So
I'm not sure how much users are used to looking in the overflow menu.
Could
you tell me of some apps that you have that uses them.

You probably have a phone with a hardware menu button. In that case, you
don't see the overflow menu. Or maybe you don't have Ice Cream Sandwich
yet.
The overflow should be present in all 9 apps from Google.

I has Ice Cream Sadwich and a phone that has a hardware menu button.

That explains it, then. You're not seeing the software action overflow
button because the hardware menu button launches the menu instead.

yes to get to the file browser it would take one tap of ether the
home
button or the back/up arrow and the app would still use that to
navigate.
but it would still take two taps and load time to get to "new" and
"templates". thats more time then two taps.

As I said, the load time would be the same. Thumbnails would load
after
the
screen and its buttons.

I know how this would work and I still think an application like ours
would
take longer to load then you think or users want. Especially when the
users
have many files.

It doesn't matter how many files the user has. The file list will load
after the screen and action bars are loaded.

ok what ever.

you say that these should be in the overflow menu because thats where
they
are on the desktop because thats where they have always been on the
desktop, but IMHO these options should not be there on the desktop.
 on
the
table and phone this is stupid to place them there. the split
button
would
also be a document menu like in your citrus UI, a place where
people
would
expect to find these items. when I think of tool bar I think it
should
hold
things like tools to work on a new document, not things I should be
doing
to a finished document.

That's where they belong on Android, not on the desktop.
They're not in the toolbar, they're in the overflow menu, which is
appropriate for actions done to a finished document.
And these actions certainly don't fit in a navigation bar.

I think I may have been thinking Bout a different overflow menu, ether
way
I don't think it make much since.

Sorry, I don't understand this.

our app has its own overflow menus in the tool bar and you say it will also
have one at the end for users that do not  have the hardware menu button.

What?
Our action bar will have one action overflow.
Its contents will change based on the selection (i.e. when you select Text,
it will show text actions).

And here they would be accessed with two taps as well. "Options"
belongs in
the overflow menu as well -- two taps.

again why should this be in the overflow menu, because its there on
the
desktop, that is not a reason for it to be there.

Because it's there in every other Android app, and the user knows to
look
for it there.

I don't know of many apps that use it so give me some examples.

All of the default apps, Google+, Boid, Firefox, Chrome, Google Drive,
etc.
Take a look at the website http://holoeverywhere.com/ where a lot of
other
apps are listed.

ok, they say that this is how Facebook should have been.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/095/2/9/295db2cf5d52eb63f78e7b1e0dbf1203-d4v44wc.jpg

so here you only have Events, Photos, Friends, and Groups. where as now the
have all those AND the ability to go to News Feeds, Messages, Nearby,
Notes, a specificity group or see all groups, Apps, pages, list such as
close friends then see all, account, and help center.

id much more prefer that then just then just the four.

why don't we need an about item. and again it should not be in the
overflow
menu. by this time the overflow menu (while for OVERFOW) is way
OVERFLOWING
and has too much in there.

That's why we don't need an about item -- it's an unnecessary dialog,
and
we already have too many commands.

Ok I was thinking the toolbar overflow and the application overflow was
the
same overflow witch having it there would be too many options.

How so?
Remember that contextual actions would be shown as a contextual action
bar,
and therefore contextual actions (like text formatting) and
non-contextual
actions (search, save, print) don't mix.

I miss understood what overflow you were talking about.

but we certainly don't want a "Close" item.

yes we most certainly do my good friend, just hitting the home menu
on
the
phone keys or back arrow a few time does not close the app, and its
not
good thing to keep apps open useing all our users resources. when I
want to
close an app I want to do it in the app not some other app. also
another
reason  this is in there is think about how you can close the
desktop
app.
you have clicking the "X,red circal" clicking file > Exit, and you
have
ctrl+W or Q. there needs to be many ways to do some things. yes
some
of
these things could just be placed in the apps menu dialog when the
user
hits the phones menu key, but some people do not know that you can
do
that
all the time, some apps you can not do that all the time.

On Android, you can hit the "multitask" button (it's the third system
button) to see all the running apps and swipe them away to close
them.

That's the standard way of doing it on Android, and that's why no
Android
application (except perhaps a few shotty ones) features a "Close"
button.

On my phone Pandora, two irc clients, att navigator, car panel, dock
mobile
has button , pocket band, and radiou has button, all have exit menus or
buttons.

These are old designs back from times when there was no easy way to quit
apps. It's a remain of the pre-Holo era, not something we want to follow.

the side bar is not only a navigation tool but like the file menu
and
much
more. I was not sure what to place in each screen but all I was
trying
show is that the menu is contextual depending on what screen you
are
in. we
would need to figure out what all belongs in there.

I feel like this sidebar would frustrate users more than if we follow
the
HIG. I still don't see a single advantage of it -- as I demonstrated,
accessing its buttons would be just as slow if not slower as if we
used
the
UI elements in the HIG.

have you seen how fast the side menu pops out. You make it seem like
creating a new document would be like
tap...............................tap, when it would be more like
tap..tap
or tap tap it the get used to it.

Again, opening the overview wouldn't be slower. The user would also be
used
to the new buttons always being on the bottom of the screen, and
therefore
could push them faster (whereas they're harder to target in the menu).

how so?

A user's muscle memory will adjust to "New" buttons being on the bottom
from the home screen. If the "Up" button shows a sidebar instead, the user
will have to adjust to an additional placement of "New" buttons, and it
will take him longer to target them.

Opening a different document would be much slower.
On the contrary -- this sidebar would be frustrating for users that
are
used to the Android platform.

I don't think this menu is frustrating at all. If we can get some
better
examples in it I think you would see the benefit. It would be more
beneficial when editing a document then in the manager or viewer. But
since
we are one shipping these views right now that's all I did.

I don't understand the last sentence.

we are not going to have the full blown writer just a document viewer for
now.

Yes.