Hi Andrew,

2012/5/23 Andrew Pullins <android2772@gmail.com>

Hello,

I do not like the home button in the top right of the LibreOffice mobile
app. I know that it is in the Android HIG to do it like this but I feel as
though it is not the most efficient way and think we
should consider another method. IMHO Facebook has figured out the best(or
at least a better way) of doing this. In the latest update for the Facebook
app the home button has been replaced with a side bar pop out navigation
button in which allows you to do more than just going to the home page. It
not only shows you the home, but it also can bring you to your profile,
messages, friends... and many other options.  This is much better then just
going straight to home.

So I purpose that we use this form of navigation. I have made my proposal
on my user page here [1].
cheers,
Andrew

[1]
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Android272#Navigation

I'd prefer to stick to the HIG in this case. Almost every other Android app
uses the form of navigation described in the HIG, and if we don't adhere to
it, we'll feel alien on the platform. You yourself linked to an article
criticizing Facebook's non-native form of navigation [1].
I also don't see what advantage this bar would hold for us. The items in
your mockup would be just as accessible elsewhere, in places deemed
appropriate by the HIG, or wouldn't be necessary at all.
Under your proposal, it takes two taps to get to each of the items in the
menu (one on the icon, second on the menu item).
When following the HIG:
The "File browser" would be accessed using the "Up" button with a single
tap.
The "New" buttons and "Templates" would be accessed in the file browser
with two taps -- one tap to get to the browser, one tap on one of the
buttons.
"Rename", "Print", and "Share" are all items that belong in the document's
overflow menu, as they're all actions to be done on the document. The user
shouldn't have to look for them elsewhere. And here they would be accessed
with two taps as well.
"Options" belongs in the overflow menu as well -- two taps.
I don't think we need an "About" item (and if we did, it belongs in the
overflow as well), but we certainly don't want a "Close" item.

[1] http://alexanderblom.se/2012/04/23/android-navigation-and-spotify/