Hi Kendy,

Thank you both! :-)  I am still trying to get the "real" values from the
system, so that we are 100% consistent there, I'll keep you informed
where I get with those efforts.

I think, LibO already uses the "real" values. It's just that Microsoft
has never found visual consistency (Metro UI might resolve this
problem at least) and is still experimenting very much.
This leads to ribbon apps (like Paint and Wordpad) looking completely
different from menu-based apps on the same OS. Ribbon apps are only
shipped in Windows 7 and up, so even though their visual style would
look good on Vista, it probably isn't available (MS makes their ribbon
UI available for use, I think, though).
Which somehow means hardcoding is the best option I see... The good
news is that, on Vista and 7 and 8, there is little configurability as
to the look of the OS. With the Aero style, the only option available
is selecting the colour of the window border. Then there's Aero Basic
(AFAIK, it doesn't have any options) and Windows Classic (which has
lots of options but is better served with our existing Windows
XP-and-below style).

But for sure we can improve the look of the non-themed LO [ie. when used
on Linux outside of Gnome / KDE, or when used on older Windows]
immediately.  I myself slightly prefer the bluish look, but... ;-)

I guess I wouldn't really go for the bluish look outside of its
Vista/7/8 domain. (One'd have to try it though.)

The code that sets the defaults in that case is here:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/vcl/source/app/settings.cxx#n355

Really cool. I've played a bit with it... however, for Windows XP and
below, it actually is a very fitting look, I guess. The only thing
that really annoyed back in my XP days was the gradient behind the
individual toolbars and behind all of the toolbars.
So, I've got a few questions:
* On which of those values do the gradients depend?
* Is there any way to make the gradients horizontal instead of vertical?
* Is there any way to define the colour for the main window indepently
from the color of the dialogue windows?

Astron.