Hi Kendy, Mirek, all,

@Kendy: thank you for this answer.

A question to all of you: is this proposal actually supposed to affect
all of LibO? (So far, I can only see stuff that belongs to the Writer
status bar. Still, in this mail I am assuming that this impacts the
whole suite.)

Mirek has described it pretty well - the original problem is that while
Status bar occupies the (precious) vertical space, the [plus minus] only

The [plus minus] thing for me tends to go into the plus area – just
saying. There's lots of information though that we don't need and lots
of information that can be easily shuffled around.

useful thing it has is the Zoom slider; so my idea was to move the Zoom
slider somewhere else, and hide Status bar by default.

Right. My proposal would be to use something like the following in
cases where the zoom slider wouldn't cut into the scrollbar/page
content:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Zoomsliderwriter.png

And display something like the following if it did (like in Calc):
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Zoomslidercalc.png
(Hovering over the slider/throwing the mouse at the lower edge of the
display would it full size.)

Of course, the second case can become quite tricky for users if
they're dealing with a very short scrollbar. This is especially true
if you're dealing with ever slimmer scrollbars (Gnome 3.4's Adwaita
theme, Ubuntu since 11.04 (?)). However, at least in the case of slim
scrollbars, we'll have to assume that users aren't very dependent on
scrollbars anyway (because of good touchpads/scrollwheels on mouses
etc.).

On the other hand, to me, Mirek's proposal seems even more problematic
in the case where you have a horizontally split window (in Calc) – in
some cases it might not be possible to see the scrollbar at all.

It should not be horizontal (next to the horizontal scroll bar) - we
hide the horizontal scroll bar in Writer when it is not necessary, and
on most contemporary wide screens it not shown at all.

Well, precisely, my argument is for placing it in the space that is
currently not occupied and against placing it in the space we need
(currently) for a scrollbar.

Regards,
Astron.