From the user's point-of-view, that's absolutely true.

But its also true from the point of the developers - things have to be
specified, coordinated, developed, tested, documented, ... so it needs
to be done step by step anyway.

im in agreence that it needs to be done step by step but why can't you
change it all. every one that went from M$O 2003 to M$O 2007  had this BIG
change to deal with... and they are all useing M$O 2010 today. users can
handle change. the Devs need little projects to work on to get it done, but
that does not mean that the hole thing can not be changed.

Even if they are convinced ... descriptions like Citrus are rather ideasbut
something a (or in this case: many) developer(s) can start  working with.

what???

Yep, and there are ideas / issues that can be addressed now ... but of
course an "80% stable solution concept" like Citrus helps to guide
(note: I'm also not fully sure if the whole Citrus concept fits yet, but
hopefully Mirek and his thoughts will be around).

I have not heard from Mirek in a while and was hoping that he would have
some things to say about this but when he is back you all can ask him stuff.
he was having trouble with internet or something.

Well, in Paris we've talked about the "vision" for LibreOffice ingeneral.
That's something I'd love to discuss (and finally decide, but
don't know how yet - how to involve all stakeholders). I've already
pinged the members of the little group how to continue. Any wishes from
your (all) side?

where can I get things that went on in the conference. I know that you did a
summory and cited some presentations but other than that I don't know where
to go.

Andrew, do you have any special area of interest you'd like to
contribute?

I have been contributing with the Citrus mock ups for some time now. some of
my ideas have been sent to Mirek and he has liked and disliked them. I am
starting to do more specifically with calc because that is something that he
has not touched on at all, simply because he does not use it. I use it from
time to time and my brother uses it more so I though that I could help out
there.