Hi Andrew,

Em 25-10-2011 08:00, Andrew Pullins <android2772@gmail.com> escreveu:
I do not understand, what questions are you talking about. one question I do
have for the hole mailing list is what do you think of Citrus. have you
looked at it. there are some who have said that they are interested in the
UI apart from me and Mirek but they have not joined in his and my
conversation back and fourth.

what does every one think of it. it is the most complete UI that has
been purposed that I know of. here [1] is Mirek's LO wiki page that goes
through the basics about how it works, and here [2] is his blog that goes
through much more in detail about it. he is working on something, but I do
not know what. have not seen him in a while.
I don't think Citrus is a bad idea, on the whole. The problem with it is: they have been conceived as a whole. Things should look pretty, of course (my girlfriend loves LibreOffice, but my brother won't use it unless it looks better -- same story everywhere), but that's not our only concern: we already have a large userbase, and a way of how things work in the interface. You cannot simply change this overnight. But you know that. So, assuming you know that, this is not a matter of embracing Mirek's design or not, but whether to embrace it in each part. That's why there's is the UI_Elements [1] page: we should see them as parts, discuss one by one and find out if it's for better to change it or not. Small changes are easier to do, to manage, to get used to (from a user and developer point of view), but most of all, it needs hacking, so you cannot go to devs and say: "this is how we would like the whole application to look". You have to take one small part and convince them that it would be important to change this one, because it would better this and that. Even inside our team: even if Citrus is a good idea (which I'm not convinced about, but this is off-topic now), there could be better solutions for each element. This discussion sounds the same as the (thankfully dead) ribbon/not ribbon one. Because it's not a matter of changing the whole interface (that's the mistake Microsoft did, but that's according to theirs, not ours, model of business), it's a matter of enhancing small parts at each time.

That leads to the question, what do we want from LibreOffice, often raised (Christoph mentions that again from the Paris conference -- miss the link now, sorry). We should discuss that instead of Citrus/Ribbon/any ready-magic solution.

Cheers,
Rafael

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/UI_Elements