Hi Bernhard

It's good to see similar ideas in operation/development with OOo4kids.

Being a programmer myself, I know it shouldn't be too difficult to build menus and tool bars that have an additional User-Ranking tag. When Toolbars and menus are displayed, it should also not be too difficult to supress ones that don't fit the ranking. To future-proof this system, the ranking must be flexible enough to allow for extending it to more ranks without affecting current users' settings. For example there could be a 2-3 character code where the first character is the major level and subsequent characters the lower levels.

With templates though, this will be a challenge. I agree with the author of the second link that sometimes the software goes too far in the decisions it makes. Any user who has tried to put multiple pictures on a page and then started moving them around would have experienced this happening.

Templates are perfect for repetitive tasks such as doing meeting agendas where the structure stays the same each time, but the detail changes. I personally think that when entering details into templates, the number of operations needs to be restricted to actions like; Copy a sub-section of the template i.e. an additional item is needed for a list
Delete a sub-section of the template i.e. not needed

For those interested in templates, it would perhaps be useful to consider the different uses for templates and identify some commonalities between them. It's almost like an application which is allowing for pre-formatted input.

Cheers

Phil Jackson