Hi Rafael,

thanks for your mail ... I try to quickly add some comments.

Am Dienstag, den 26.04.2011, 02:50 -0300 schrieb Rafael Rocha Daud:
Hi all,

I propose a first easy modification to the Styles and Format issue,
regarding their window, which I find much unfriendly (not opposed to
friendly, but to nice :-)):

That's a good description ;-)

Today there's plenty of empty space there. If you right-click that
space, you get one option: New. If you right-click over an existing
style, you get three options: New (which will be "based on", or
"inherit" the one you clicked), Modify and Delete. If you left-click
anywhere, you select styles.
I think we could improve usability if we took better advantage of the
two mouse buttons (dismissing those mini context menus).

Well, that might be difficult, since context-menus are a de-facto
standard and also required for accessibility reasons.

But, I agree that the menus itself don't help that much at the
moment ... so let's try to balance context menus (being a direct /
alternative access) and more direct means.

1. We could have just one more button in that window, called 'New
Style'. It would have a small drop down, with just two options: 'New
Style', and 'New Style Based on Selected', which would create,
respectively, a completely new style or a new one based on the one which
is highlighted.

We already have a little drop-down that might help here ... but I don't
mind if we add a more self-descriptive button.

Still the point is - why do people need to add more styles? I think the
number of styles is quite sufficient, but maybe the defaults are
unwanted ... don't know.

2. Now, a right-click on an empty area could lead to 'New Style'
directly, without a one-option context menu appearing.

That would be against the platforms standards and to what users expect
when using LibO - all lists have (if there are any further commands) a
context-menu. And, it is less discoverable - clicking on "New" gives you
some clue, but starting an activity (e.g. if having accidentally clicked
on whitespace) is less user friendly.

3. Also, a right-click on an existing style could lead to 'Modify Style'
dialog immediately, which is too often used and could be accessed faster
this way. I know it's just one more click, but it's tedious, and
right-clicking, then choosing an option, if you're using a notebook,
that's very tedious, so I think this is a must.

Again, there hardly any self-explanation in this action :-) So, from the
discussions we had on this list in the last days, it might help to ease
to define those styles ("Apply vs. OK" discussion).

Word introduced a nice "on hover" drop-down - to avoid cluttering by
adding a drop-down to each of the list entries, they showed a drop-down
on mouseover. So you don't even need to use the context menu.

Some years ago, when we made the Notes for Writer, I followed a similar
approach:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Notes2_Design_NoteWindow#Proposal_.22Note_Window.22

4. At last, we need a 'Delete Style' option. That could be put in any of
the (now) two buttons with mini drop down menus. I would suggest the new
one, with 'New Style' and 'New Style based on selected', since those
newly created would be the only ones that could be deleted this way.

Please see above ...

I believe the addition of the new button does not add much clutter, and
is somehow expected: if it's the Style and Format window, how come the
'New Style' is only available through a context menu? That once led me
to think that would be a super-power-user tool and I should never mess
with it; and since I didn't always like the existing styles (plus the
[already mentioned by someone] issue regarding the 'Standard/Default'
style versus 'Body Text' style), I ended up giving up styles at all for
such a long time I still regret. Of course that's a bit exagerated, and
not everybody gives up so easy as I do, but I really think a helping
hand here (and I mean UX design, not just help pages, as good as they
can be) is a must. And since we (I mean, you) are working in the Styles
dialog, I guess the Styles and Format main window could get a facelift too.

Totally agree.

How does this sound?

You might now know my answer ;-) Thanks for the nice mail and the very
good descriptions, which made it very easy to comment on - I really hope
that my comments itself are a bit helpful.

Regards,
Christoph