Hi Nik, hi Rob, Jaron, Johannes, Bernhard, ... :-)

Am Montag, den 07.03.2011, 04:34 +1100 schrieb Nik:
[...]
I'd like to know where you stand on the typeface in general? do you
think it works?

Good question!

[...]

But most of this is too nitpicky, no font is perfect (except HELVETICA =).

;-)

I'm not trying to be nasty, but this typeface looks genuinely unfinished.
I think we would do ourselves a huge favour by locating a better font
for the next version of the logo.
What do you think? change or stay? and if change, do you or your
colleagues know of any good open-source fonts?

You are right Nik, the font is indeed unfinished (e.g. the Unicode
coverage)- and development won't continue as far as I know. But in the
given situation some months ago, the font had some real advantages ...
for example: having a modern but neutral look.

On of the things I've never mentioned in the blog posting [1] was the
importance of "neutrality", so that there is a viable chance to replace
the font by something better (if there is any alternative) without
"trashing" all the material we've created so far. Of course, the new
font shouldn't be that different ;-)

I've used the font comparison that had been done by the OOo Artwork Team
[2]. And since Bernhard had substantial impact in creating the
comparison, I'd like to ask him for his experience whether there is
something better. Bernhard?

I know ... It's very late to be talking about such things, but
discussion in this vein might make for a better future logo.

I think we slowly start to target topics related to a community branding
- not only applying tiny improvements concerning the current one. What
are your thoughts here? Thinking about some major improvements is fine,
but the timing is important as well ...

Personally, I think that some improvements by Johannes should make it
into the current logo for (maybe?) the minor release of LibreOffice. And
from what I can see, there is consensus that most of the tiny
improvements (like you said Nik - and also to me: except the
f-i-connection) greatly improve the general visual impression.

Cheers,
Christoph

[1]
http://luxate.blogspot.com/2010/10/fontastic-how-libreoffice-got-its-font.html