Hi Nik!

Great to see this message in my inbox - how are you?

Am Montag, den 10.01.2011, 01:20 +1100 schrieb Nik:
[...]
On 1/7/2011 9:45 AM, Christoph Noack wrote:
[...]
I have been following the icon discussion, but I didn't want to speak
against the current icon any further because I didn't think it would be
helpful.
I created a *really* quick proposal to demonstrate the "paper-feel" I
mentioned in an earlier post (here;
http://tdf.nikashsingh.com/misc/writer_icon.jpg),
but because the existing icons had so much work already done by
yourself, Bernhard and Ivan, I just thought I'd let it slide so that
progress wasn't hindered.
And I ran out of time to contribute, myself.

Oh, don't worry ... same applies for me - although it might look
different. But at the moment, the symbolism itself is the "hard nut"
that needs to be cracked.

But to be honest, I had a very big problem with the icons because they
didn't resemble documents to me at all.
They looked more like sim-cards or SD-cards for cameras. For me, the
paper/document analogy was lost.

Of course, you are totally right - it is an edge case to re-use the
symbol, which looks different because it was made to look different (in
comparison to the standard sheet metaphor). In my very first draft, I
wanted to keep the known metaphor ...

But, there have been compelling arguments - for example, that we might
use the two release until we have the community branding (if we succeed)
to make the TDF symbol more known. After that, it might (visually) step
back a bit ...

In the decision list, I commented the topic "Use of the LibreOffice
document symbol?" this way:
      * Christoph: That's unsure, since the branding guidelines already
        state to keep the document symbol as it is (without any
        modifications within the icons). Thus, I'd propose to use the
        document symbol for the main LibreOffice icon, but not for the
        document / template icons.
      * Bernhard: The re-use of the symbol would greatly increase the
        visibility of the document symbol representing LibreOffice.

        Implicit decision (by going forward on the mailing list without
        veto): Use the document symbol for the icons. This decision may
        be re-visited for the next releases of LibreOffice.

Personally, I'm currently fine with it ... although I'd like to go back
to standard symbols in the long-run.

But your most recent proposal, for the template icon;
(http://picasaweb.google.com/noack.christoph/LibreOffice#5558854821889918786)
is simply PERFECT. The simple change of making the document WHITE again
addresses ALL my concerns.
I absolutely LOVE the way that large white+blue binder icon looks
(bottom left corner).

I hope you would consider making all the icons White in the center with
a coloured border (corresponding with the application).
The multiple paper colours of the different icons currently don't look
very ... consistent, or sophisticated.
I think that between the coloured border and the symbolic "contents" of
the "pages", users will be able to differentiate file types.
It might be just me, but the current approach of flooding each icon with
one main colour seems a bit, for lack of a better word, insulting.
As if to suggest users aren't capable of differentiating between more
subtle variations.

;-)

Nik, you know that one finally ends up with spending hours in front of
the screen when working on such stuff ... and I don't consider myself to
be neutral when looking at it after such a day. So, let's give it a try!

I've made some small corrections to the icons, but I've kept a bit color
in the lower region of the icons. That (from my point-of-view) ensures
that the "contrast change" isn't that strong.

Here is the original version:
http://picasaweb.google.com/noack.christoph/LibreOffice#5558854821889918786

Here is the refined version:
http://picasaweb.google.com/noack.christoph/LibreOffice#5560329076596107730

Opinion(s)?

But that is just my opinion. I pay too much attention to these details =)
I LOVE the template (binder) icon. Great stuff Christoph!

Oh, thanks a lot ... but really, I'm just jumping in because we miss a
"pro" here :-)

Cheers,
Christoph