Hi Christoph, all,

On 1/7/2011 9:45 AM, Christoph Noack wrote:
Shamelessly, I also BCC Thorsten and Nik - I'm not sure whether they are
aware of the current discussion. It would also be great to hear their
opinions, and maybe we can join all the forces :-)

I have been following the icon discussion, but I didn't want to speak against the current icon any further because I didn't think it would be helpful. I created a *really* quick proposal to demonstrate the "paper-feel" I mentioned in an earlier post (here; http://tdf.nikashsingh.com/misc/writer_icon.jpg), but because the existing icons had so much work already done by yourself, Bernhard and Ivan, I just thought I'd let it slide so that progress wasn't hindered.
And I ran out of time to contribute, myself.

But to be honest, I had a very big problem with the icons because they didn't resemble documents to me at all. They looked more like sim-cards or SD-cards for cameras. For me, the paper/document analogy was lost.

But your most recent proposal, for the template icon;
(http://picasaweb.google.com/noack.christoph/LibreOffice#5558854821889918786)
is simply PERFECT. The simple change of making the document WHITE again addresses ALL my concerns. I absolutely LOVE the way that large white+blue binder icon looks (bottom left corner).

I hope you would consider making all the icons White in the center with a coloured border (corresponding with the application). The multiple paper colours of the different icons currently don't look very ... consistent, or sophisticated. I think that between the coloured border and the symbolic "contents" of the "pages", users will be able to differentiate file types. It might be just me, but the current approach of flooding each icon with one main colour seems a bit, for lack of a better word, insulting. As if to suggest users aren't capable of differentiating between more subtle variations.

But that is just my opinion. I pay too much attention to these details =)
I LOVE the template (binder) icon. Great stuff Christoph!

-Nik