Yes, I remember all that with Linux.  However, much progress has been
made in the last two years to get thing sworking out of the box.
Seriously, if you are pressed for time, the single fastest and best
way to go is to download an iso of Ubuntu Precise which has
acessibility out of the box, pop it into your cd rom drive, power up
your machine and hit control s when you hear the drumroll.  When Orca
starts talking, alt tab to the installation dialog and select the try
it out option so you can run it as a live installation.  It will come
up and Libre Office is already installed with all the extensions and
plugins and so forth to make it talk with Orca.  Save your files onto
a flash drive or your hard drive so you can pick up where you left off
next time you power up your pc.  When youa re done working for that
day, simply power off your machine and take out the cd.  When it turns
back on, it's going to run windows and be none the wiser that you had
Ubuntu running things for a time.

I know this sounds complex but, if you are approaching a deadline, you
need to do something to get the ball rolling.  If this is not
something you want to tackle, I seriously advise you to put aside any
qualms you have about MS Office and load it up.  You need something
that will get the job done.  Period, end of story.  If your job is on
the line, it is no time to be making statements about software freedom
and so forth by sticking to Open or Libre Office in hopes that you'll
stumble on some magic setup combination that'll get you going.  I know
what I am saying will probably upset some people who read this list
but, frankly, if I have to choose between giving somebody advice that
will keep them employed or chant the party line, the party line will
just have to get on as best it can.  I like free and open source
software.  If it were up to me, I'd switch each and everything I use
to run a fully Libre system at work and at home.  Thing is, there are
too many a11y gaps all over the place for you to do that productively
and efficiently without investing a large amount of time in learning
all sorts of workarounds when there are ways to do what needs toing in
proprietary software that you can meld with your open source stuff.  I
have found this approach to be much more powerful than the sum of its
parts.

Best regards,
Alex M