webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote on 2012-07-16 18:29:

I wonder what it would be like if TDF/LO was given CD/DVD reproduction
equipment - professional system that copies and prints labels of a
master file set.  There range around $1400 - $2500 USD for 50 to 100 DVD
versions.

I am not sure if that would help us, since we have no central office, and even if we had, sending produced items around the globe would cost time and money. I think it's much better to have them produced on demand in the various countries, and have funding from TDF where possible. I have good contact to a distributor of CD/DVD copier robots including printers, and they also do on-demand production, located in Austria. Maybe they also have contacts around to other countries.

That would be a great way to get professional copies of the various DVDs
[LO project DVDs] out to the public at the regional events.  The cost
should be less than going to a DVD burn/print service or a
print-on-demand service like Lulu.com.

In Germany, we have them produced in batches of 500-2.000 pieces. They look like this: http://www.frodev.org/bilder/libreoffice-box-dvd

I don't recall the exact quote, but I can ask if needed, I guess prices are similar for most countries.

For anyone who wants to "sell by donation" a LO based DVD, the first
thing is the out of pocket costs.  If you do not use a print-on-demand
service - which is more cost tot the users and less donation potential
to TDF - the "seller" will need to make up a batch of DVDs themselves.
They either have a DVD printer to print the DVD media labels [some older
HP inkjets and some Epson Artisan inkjet do this], or they need to get
some service to make up the DVDs for them.

Indeed, that's how we do it here in Germany, but that's only possible due to the German association bankrolling the production. I really hope we can foster local NGOs to do the same in other countries, and have TDF stepping in when needed. Dealing with money on a local basis is much easier, IMHO.

Either way, these people have a potentially large out of pocket expense.

That's what I definitely want to avoid, nobodey should personally bankroll any expense like that.

I see that 3.5.6 comes out in August and 3.5.7 comes out in October. So,
I will be giving out a few DVDs of the 3.5.5 installs till 3.5.6 is out,
and more 3.5.6 than I did with 3.5.5 before 3.5.7 comes out.   I may not
give out any 3.6 line till December or January.

For the German LibreOffice-Box, the plan is indeed to have only some versions on DVD: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice-Box_Release-Plan/de

It is nice to have the ability to download an ISO file for the CD/DVDs
on the download servers.  My service will not allow me to have any file
larger than about 200 MB in their servers, but I have the entire DVD
online for browsing and testing since no "one" file is over the size
limit.  So if you go to - http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.5-installs/

Feel free to use the TDF infrastructure when needed, we have plenty of capacity. :-)

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108