I wonder what it would be like if TDF/LO was given CD/DVD reproduction equipment - professional system that copies and prints labels of a master file set. There range around $1400 - $2500 USD for 50 to 100 DVD versions.

That would be a great way to get professional copies of the various DVDs [LO project DVDs] out to the public at the regional events. The cost should be less than going to a DVD burn/print service or a print-on-demand service like Lulu.com.

For anyone who wants to "sell by donation" a LO based DVD, the first thing is the out of pocket costs. If you do not use a print-on-demand service - which is more cost tot the users and less donation potential to TDF - the "seller" will need to make up a batch of DVDs themselves. They either have a DVD printer to print the DVD media labels [some older HP inkjets and some Epson Artisan inkjet do this], or they need to get some service to make up the DVDs for them.

Either way, these people have a potentially large out of pocket expense.

For me, I handout my DVD with the labels printed on the media. I do not make more than 5 or 10 at a time, since I do not want any older version left over when the next version of the DVD is ready. It does not take much time to burn a DVD and print its label on the media. IT does not take much time to print off a "thin movie DVD case" label and an insert document on how to use the media. For friends and family, I rarely give them anything but a hand labeled DVD in a jewel case. I may give them the the full "professional" handout, including a brochure, but after than they get the "cheap" disc. They do not need something that looks professional like the businesses, agencies, and government office workers get from me.

I see that 3.5.6 comes out in August and 3.5.7 comes out in October. So, I will be giving out a few DVDs of the 3.5.5 installs till 3.5.6 is out, and more 3.5.6 than I did with 3.5.5 before 3.5.7 comes out. I may not give out any 3.6 line till December or January.

Soon the 3.5.5 NA-DVD, named something like -
LO-3.5.5-1_English-NA-DVD_all-platforms_multi-lang_plus-extras.iso
- will be on the CD/DVD download page along with the German 3.5.5 CD/DVD[s]. The NA-DVD contains 6 non-English language and help packs, along with en_US and en_GB language and help packs. The DVD is a browser based media with its pages in English. All supported platforms installs for LO are included, including the portable versions. Then almost half of the DVD is given over to the extras that are not part of the LO package installs.

It is nice to have the ability to download an ISO file for the CD/DVDs on the download servers. My service will not allow me to have any file larger than about 200 MB in their servers, but I have the entire DVD online for browsing and testing since no "one" file is over the size limit. So if you go to - http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.5-installs/ - you get to see the current 3.5 line DVD, which is exactly the same as the DVD media version but online, since the NA_DVD is a web-page/browser based system with main page titles of: Info, Install, Module, Extensions, Templates, Dictionaries, Extras, Documentation, and Artwork. The Module page describes the different "modules" of the package - like Writer and Calc. Info is the index.html page and is just a general info about the DVD. The Extras include things like Firefox, Thunderbird, and some other free packages a open-source user might like.

Between the English NA-DVD and the German LibreOffice-Box DVD, plus other local/regional projects that currently do not list their CD/DVDs with TDF/LO download system, I hope we cover a large portion of the regional markets for having some media that gives new LO users more than just the basic installs for their regional languages.

I include Hebrew language and help packs in the NA-DVD since I was told that MSO is not supporting the Hebrew language needs for an Office package very well. This came from some local Hebrew community members and a lady who lives in Israel was was visiting her parents last year when LO was in the mid 3.3.x line. They liked the fact that you can use LO in English, Hebrew, and French for the lady from Israel since she speaks French as well. She works/worded in the tourism field and multi-language ability for LO was a key for her use over MSO.

SO
I hope that having the CD/DVD .iso file on the download page[s] works out well. I also hope more regional disc projects would contribute a version to the download page[s]. The more regional DVD projects listed there, the better.

Now we just need a good way, and easy way, for users to buy a professionally made DVD for their use if they do not have the available bandwidth for downloading the .iso files. That was what the NA-DVD was originally created for, along with handing them out to local businesses, etc.. OOo use to have many listing for purchasing pre-made discs. It would be nice to get some regional people/organization to "sell" the DVD for LO donations to help these low bandwidth users. I have many friends and business contacts that cannot download even the install files for LO, let alone a DVD .iso file. So we need a way for these people to be able to order a copy of a regional DVD.

Well, that is enough on that, for now. I have had over a year to "study" this "info".