On 12/16/2011 03:13 AM, Georges Rodier wrote:
Le jeudi 15 décembre 2011 à 10:37 -0500, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions a écrit :
One issue I have is that they claim MSO's format is the International
Standard.  [clip]
Perhaps there would have been less confusion had that second paragraph
in the H Open article had started, "Of the two ISO document
standards..." The full phrase would then have read, "Of the two ISO
document standards, OOXML is the ISO standard for office documents that
is predominantly supported by Microsoft;..." When read fully, I do not
see the full sentence as stating that OOXML is THE standard, but rather
it's being the one "predominantly supported by Microsoft". Personally, I
would have written "only supported by Microsoft", but that's only an
opinion.

Then too, in addition to reading the H Open article, I did find the pdf
of Dr. Matthias Stürmer's presentation to to Paris 2011 quite
informative (and no mention of OOXML as THE standard).

Again, personally, I would like to see quality opening and displaying of
OOXML by LibO but I'm not really on board for saving documents in that
format. Still, I do understand the reasons for the project and wish them
well.

Georges
The exact wording of the article may not say OOXML is THE standard, but it seems to imply it to the readers.

YES the article would have been better with the "of the two ISO standards", but it did not say it. Also, the way it was written, it implies that ODF is not the office document standard, but a set of formats you can use instead of the OOXML standard.

The way it was written makes me feel that OOXML is the only ISO. That is the big issue for me. ODF was the standard voted on first, over OOXML, but then OOXML got voted on to be a second standard. It use to be that if the ISO committee voted on a standard, then that is the ONE standard. There could not be two competing standards, since it seems that the purpose of the ISO standard was to tell you which was the one world wide standard to use, not choose between two different ones and hope everyone can use both of them.

But, as it was said in other posts/threads, any article that has a positive notation for LibreOffice is a positive thing for LO and maybe the open-source community.

It would be great to have others working on reverse engineering MSO's file formats. Anything to make the use of the OOXML formats better is a positive thing. The issue of editing these formats with LO and then having MSO use/view them the way LO edited them to be, is a big issue for full compatibility between LO/OOo and MSO. What that happens, then it will be a big step for people who want to use LO in the MSO dominated market. But, be then, MSO will, most likely, create a new document format that they use as the default and the open-source community must start the compatibility process all over again. MSO does not want others to compete, and they want the individual/business to be required to buy their products to use their dominate file formats. They may do anything to keep the open-source from being a fully compatible competition.

.