One issue I have is that they claim MSO's format is the International Standard. ODF was the only International Standard for office document formats till MSO bought their way into making a dual standard instead of the single one. That was a big stink and, as far as I remember, caused a few legal investigations. The ISO was to be a single standard, with ODF being voted as THE standard for office document formats. Then MS came along and said unfair, unfair. Our formats are most popular. When they had to give a full accounting for documentation for their OOXML formats, it took teeth-pulling to get it. Then it came out that if the "independent" committee that would be in control of that format, then MSO would not fully support it. They had to be in full control, not others. That was against the rules for ISO status, as far as I am concerned. SO to say OOXML is the ISO over ODF, that is not true. ODF became the ISO instead of OOXML. Then MS did its thing and "forced" [ie. bought] the dual standard. So you cannot say that ODF is not the ISO for office documents, and OOXML is. ODF was voted to be that, so it is that. You cannot erase the records of the meetings and the records of the voting. This article has all the stink of MS behind it. If it stinks like MS, MS must be there somewhere.

AS FOR the group being created to work on better document support for OOXML, I wonder where they got the FULL documentation for that format. MS did not release it fully, according to the articles I read. MS will not release this type of document when ordered to by the European Government Judges, so why would they do it freely and completely? MS would never release this documentation since they want you to buy their products for you to be able to use/view their documents properly.

If a group of developers want to take the time and reverse engineer the OOXML format, like others did for DOC and the other MSO formats, I am glad of their work. Hopefully their work will be fully open-source so packages like OOo and LO can use it when their work is ready to use. What "Apache License 2.0" actually means could make or break LO's ability to use it. Also, when they write the code, will it be in JAVA or Python? LO is moving away from JAVA so JAVA-only code for this OOXML support would be going backwards.