On 04/16/2011 10:17 AM, drew wrote:
On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 10:02 -0400, drew wrote:
On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 12:27 -0400, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions wrote:
Do you know any figures on how many people now use LibreOffice?

OOo use to keep track of this based on the number of downloads from
their site, and the same for Mozilla's browser.  It would be nice to
be
able to state that 100 thousand, or 1 million, etc., people are now
using LibreOffice.
Hi Tim,

The stats exist, as far as I know. I asked about this, a month ago, and
was told that at this time they will not be released.

Sorry double post - but if I'm not mistaken there where some stats
released recently - I think it was 1.5 million total downloads, I'd
forgotten about that in the last email.

//drew
If we could state that Since January 2011, there has been 1 million downloads from the LibreOffice web site, and many more are downloading it from the Linux Repositories, then we have a good start with telling people how "popular" it is becoming. The fact that most Linux distros have dumped Oracle's version in favor of LibreOffice as the their default office suite package, is a good thing for "us". The fact that more and more businesses, governments [local, regional, national] have dumped MSO in favor of open-source office suites [no mention of OOo] will work fine as well for marketing LibreOffice. The USA Federal government is pushing open-source solutions is a big thing for "us". We can say that since our government is pushing for open-source software to be used, "why not try it for yourself?. If there was some list made [I asked about this a few years back] made up of all the big businesses, governments, schools/colleges, and any other large organization, who have switch from MSO to OOo over the years, we could us those "names" for reasons for switching to open-source office suite[s]. Since we came from OOo, we could still use those facts for promoting switching to LibreOffice [open-source] from MSO [not open-source].

Businesses love stats and knowing such-and-such big business decided to switch, so if those companies switched to open-source, then maybe this is something that their business should look into. It does not matter if they switched to OOo, since that was before Oracle's "mess" and LibreOffice being "born" out of that mess. We can add that LibreOffice has been "proclaimed" by the press that it is a better product that OOo, so why not try LibreOffice instead of OOo, since it is the better free and open-source office suite package on the market today.