Re: [libreoffice-website] CMS requirements / suitability testing

Christian:

I read your full email and don't appreciate the generalization and assumption that I did not.

Regarding top or bottom posting, there are many different personal preferences on this and I try to do what seems most suitable to readers. In a thread of emails, it's faster to see new content in a new message when it's at the top, and if you've received the full thread it is easy to follow the discussion. Still, I will improve my practice if I can, and if there were a generally-agreed LibreOffice standard I would be happy to follow it.

Now, to focus on the issue at hand:

My point about the widespread use of Drupal was meant to indicate that it has been tested, expanded and improved by a large global community of users for almost a decade now. Security issues are quickly discovered and patched, performance problems are addressed by sites for whom it is urgent, and usability improves with each site built and deployed for new, non-technical client users.

Widespread use is not the only relevant factor in choosing a CMS, but it can certainly help narrow down the field to those that have passed the tests of many of our peers. Drupal is an extremely robust choice and deserves to appear on our shortlist of platforms for an intensive comparison. If you're not familiar with it, that's not a problem. We can bring in people who know it well to address any questions we may have, and possibly even to assist with implementation.

-Ben

On Oct 7, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> Hi Benjamin, *,
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Benjamin Horst <bhorst@mac.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> Of the platforms mentioned so far in this thread, Drupal is the only name I recognized.
>> Drupal is also used already for the OOo Extensions and Templates sites,
>
> And those are sites with notorious performance issues. I don't know
> what measures to handle it the admins used though.
>
> Please: Don't fullquote. Experience shows again and again that people
> who top-post and fullquote didn't take the time to read what was
> written before.
> And of course it makes the discussion harder to follow.
>
> The point "use a well known one since there people will not have
> problems using it" is void. Ease of use doesn't come with popularity.
> But yes, an established history of course also helps.
>
> As for static pages: Yes, I'd really prefer this, since that would
> also allow copying the static pages to a completely different host
> easily and eliminates the reason for a performance penalty in the
> first place.
> memory-caches can still be used of course.
>
> ciao
> Christian
> All messages you send to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted.

Benjamin Horst
bhorst@mac.com
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com