Has colocation been considered for a NAS which is bought and owned by the
TDF?

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Florian Effenberger <
floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Hi,

the original plan (before the hardware sponsoring for next year was at the
horizon) was to move the backup, databases and data to a storage, i.e. a
machine with lots of hard disks and fast I/O, that is automatically
mirrored to a second machine.

So, the normal servers would only contain software like the web server,
but any data is read from the storage, making it easier to scale and
migrate "frontend servers".

Given that we might move to a different hoster by next summer or so,
because of a generous sponsoring offer, I think it's not worthwhile to
invest for this period of time. Rather, we should upgrade our current
infrastructure to the same hard- and software, killing current bottlenecks,
and then have a stable platform to migrate again in summer.

Right now, any of the servers listed has between 750 GB (EQ models) and 3
TB (EX models) of storage. The new machine we might get sponsored can be
scaled from one to eight hard disks, which gives us more flexibility than
we have now.

However, remember, since all hardware is rented (which is *much* cheaper,
even over a long period of time), we cannot just buy any NAS on the market,
but rather need to take what the ISP offers. So, even if there was a good
NAS vendor, we cannot use its products if the ISP does not offer it. We
also need to consider that the NAS should be in the same datacenter as the
servers. Otherwise, we risk traffic payments. We have 15 TB free per month
and server, but if all backups are on external machines, that will be
exhausted quite fast.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
Legal details:
http://www.documentfoundation.**org/imprint<http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint>

deleted

--