Hi Anders, *,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Anders Holbøll <andershol@gmail.com> wrote:
On 14-02-2012 12:48, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

selection of language doesn't work well

What do you find problematic and do you have any ideas how to fix it?

I'd rather have the two toggles seperately, and not being forced to
click through both os and language selection.

e.g. I visit the page with linux, it can detect 32bit vs 64bit and
hopefully also give the correct language, but not rpm/deb. Thus I'd
rather only switch from rpm to deb, and not go through selecting os
and then language.

Or I have my main browser set to English, but I want to download the
German version. While the page does detect the settings correctly, I'd
like to just override the language.
(But I have to go through the whole process)

Chaning a single item could be added back with javascript/with or
without ajax. Then one also wouldn't need to go to separate "pages".
(while the separate pages approach would still be available as
fallback).
Alternatively add back dropdowns that offer all choices..

and when manually choosing it isn't  obvious that it is a
multi-step process

I think you are right. Perhaps it could be fixed by simply adding a
breadcrumb-tails or a page count in the header (as Thorsten also suggested,
although for the footer). But it shouldn't get to noisy.

Yes, but maybe you can read from my lines above that I'd rather not
have the user "leave" the downloadpage for the selection.
I'd prefer if the selection would be provided in the same page (ok if
that would only work with javascript).

And a few theming issues (when there are no "related pages", the void
space should be filled with something else, now the english page looks
like something is missing (as the related pages haven't been tagged
like described below)

I imagine that there will always be related pages (at least the LGPL page
chould be tagged with "dl" to always show up).

Yeah, but I'd rather use a corresponding backend control to the
pagetype, than to "abuse" tags of other pages.

But there seems to be a
problem at the bottom left since there is no probable nor ISOs. Not sure
what to do for those. Perhaps split the remaining in two columns or just
move it to the left.

Yeah, the split you did solves the "looks like something was
missing/not rendered" problem, so it is OK for me.

But maybe relaxing the version limit is also an option. I.e. there is
no 3.5.0 iso/portable yet, so just show the latest 3.4.x one instead.

If the download buttons should go on the front page,

Hope I cleared up that misunderstanding with my other post - that is
not what I wanted to write, but sometime my fingers do act on their
own. (Basically the fingers are too slow, my brain already skipped to
some other sentence, but the fingers are still writing the old, so
they go like "screw it, just make one sentence out of the two to keep
up the pace" :-P

ciao
Christian