Hi Cor, hi Luc, all!

Great to see the recent activity concerning that topic :-)

Am Samstag, den 11.02.2012, 22:51 +0100 schrieb Cor Nouws:
Hi Luc, *,

Luc Castermans wrote (11-02-12 20:26)

Nice pictures on the white board! Nevertheless I think optically we should
provide one button to the version we want to download at that moment in
time.

Thanks!
Alas I fail to see how to predict what kind of user is running the
browser, which is needed to show one of the two possible versions ...

Mmh, maybe I'm blind, but wasn't the idea of having a "default version",
and thus a download page for one version only, the solution for to
"provide one button to the version we want to download"?

Looking at the new proposals at [1], the major difference (I seem to be
able to spot) is the decision to present "LibO 3.5.0 Early Adopters" as
the default download page.

[1]
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page#Mockups_2012

We could provide other means, links, to other versions we want to offer
at that moment in time.

At present we show two versions on the download pages, consequently I
propose  to drop the second download, per today this is version 3.3.4
Simplification  is achieved by removing the latter.

Like KDE we could have one download page with "old versions". Like Firefox
we ought to show only one version to download.

Ah, but then a message (for the time that we offer say 3.5.0 and maybe
3.5.1) to inform business users that they would rather use the 'old
version' is needed?

Given the requirements / constraints on that page, my assumption was
that we will offer the versions that are "valid" - that might be a
combination of "early adopters version and default version", but it may
just be a "default version". Thus, the button bar at at the bottom is
made scalable (e.g. remove the features version, or even add a version
for extremely conservative users). But at the end - one version is the
default that is presented to the users.

A second design decision was to handle older versions and other stuff
(e.g. the older DVD versions) at "All Downloads".

To me, our thoughts seem very similar - which I consider helpful :-)

Interesting by the way, that where I was a bit in the middle between the
initial mockups on the wiki and what also Drew writes  (offer 3.4.5 as
default) and the idea from developers (get 3.5.0 out as much as fast as
possible - if I got that right), you and also Anders go indeed are fully
at that side.

To me, it is not that much mockups related, but the basic question "how
many versions will be offered at the same time", and "who decides what
version is the default".

Good night everyone!

Christoph