On 12/11/2011 23:38, drew wrote:
On Sat, 2011-11-12 at 10:38 +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
<snip>
What testing would you like me to do for phpbb?

Regards

Hi Jonathan,

May redirect your question, just a bit.

So, there are really two different levels of interaction here that will
need to be filled by folk - there are site (server) level administrative
tasks and a service level tasks.

The later (service level) tasks will likely be available fully within a
control panel type set of web pages.

The server level tasks however, working directly with the connected
dbms, changing settings/options with php, or image manipulation libs,
etc., will require some different level of access to the actual server
being used.

Sounds to me, from reading your prior emails, that you are interested in
volunteering to be responsible for server level tasks.

Now if I follow correctly from what Florian has said in a few emails one
idea here is that there will be (is?) a vm on the tdf server that can be
used to develop the service - a staging server in other words.

I'm naive as to whether you are already working with the current tdf
admin crew at this level - but either - I would suggest to turn your
question into:

What steps are needed now to get you, and others willing to get this
involved, connected?
- as for first work steps, getting a standard lamp stack setup, I guess.

//drew

Hey Drew thanks for your reply.

I am actually not working with the server admin staff, but would be very interested. Also I have been discussing on and off via skype with Florian about options and server side things. Was hoping to have a more indepth chat with him about it and about how to move forward, but things came up and he was very busy. I am hoping this week I can discuss this further with him. As for me getting a LAMP stack installed on linux isnt a problem neither setting up.

Florian did mention the TDF getting another or some more servers, In all honesty i would rather test directly on physical hardware if that is goign to be where the forums eventually get deployed, as all we would need to do is let everyone know that here is the forums that they can start being used.

Another thing I have noticed in my experiences in testing on the actual hardware vs virtual machines, is that issues might arise on physical hardware and not in a virtual machine and vise versa.

Florian would it be an issue if we tested on physical hardware instead of a virtual machine for the above mentioned reason of ensuring no issues arise both in a vm and not physical machine and vice versa?

Regards

Jonathan Aquilina

Get a signature like this. <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=17&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_17> CLICK HERE. <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=17&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_17>