Hi Sophie,

Of course, I am not suggesting that users should be forced to use a
tool that does not fit their needs.

a small difference here, it's not users but contributors, just a small difference

I used the word "user" to mean readers and contributors. :)

Why don't we try out a small pilot project and get the early user
feedback, and see what happens? :)

again, it's not users but contributors, still different but why not, let
see who will duplicate the efforts and resources.

Michael, it boils down to your explaining how this will work.
* How easy it is to migrate old data. (A small demo will help)
* "Old vs new" demo videos to convince how the new tool is better (I can help here).

A major factor in favor of trying new technologies is, we don't have
old legacy data; so there are no worries about losing data because of
non-compatibility.

we have a lot of legacy data, so this is very important to take them in
consideration. This is an important knowledge base.

Well, I hope Michael is aware of this data and its old format.
If the idea is to make is available through Drupal, then this would be an early goal for Drupal
team.

Note that LibO itself has a major paradigm shift vis-a-vis OOo: 1. It
will have a new design paradigm (feature vs content) 2. it will have
new interfaces

I don't understand what you're saying here, what is this new design and
new interfaces? Could you give some link to that?

So why is it that we want a paradigm shift in LibO design; but not
for the help community?

still I don't understand

OK from the blogs etc, this is what I understood:
LibO team exited from Oracle to follow their vision of how OOo should have been developed.
One of the goals was Content-based development (against feature-based development).

The Go-OO talked about prohibitive politics at Sun (not Oracle, mind).
They specifically mentioned that some features/bugfixes were deliberately avoided at Sun.
It seems all their patches are included in LibO now (features+bugfixes).
Further, Go-OO announced closing Go-OO to continue with LibO.

To me, all this means that the LibO team will do something different from what Sun/Oracle were
doing.
It is not just a power struggle or clash of egos. (correct me if I am wrong).

So, we ARE talking about breaking away from the old philosophy that was prevalent for 10-20 years.
If so, why not consider new ways of working also?

**** A case in point is this thread itself.

It started when I wanted to know if Drupal is going to be adopted. I
never got my answer.

I give one and ask some questions, may be you don't read it or do not
want to answer. And seems I'm still an SC member ;-)

DUH!! one of the MANY problems in mail lists is that we never know if we are talking to royalty. :)
In a forum, your designation would have told me you are SC member.
I will have to go back and search for your answer. :(

But we have since then covered a lot of other inter-related ideas.

Now a mail chain is the least efficient tool for such conceptual
discussion. * We cannot reach any conclusion. * A latecomer cannot
read it and understand what is happening.

Sorry, I can't easily access web content, that is why I'm stuck with
mailing lists. See, this is the second power outage until I begin this
mail, funny isn't it :)

I don't see how power outage will make a difference.
What's the difference between a mail list and a forum page?
Both are delivered one page at a time!
Both pages are supposed to be light (so as to not take time in loading).

A concept map (or an argument map) are the best tool for conceptual
discussion. Both can be collaboratively plotted in Drupal.

I'm use to conceptual map on papers, sorry not easy to put on Drupal I
fear ;-), but yes I work quite often with them, useful tool, that's true.

Michael, here is your chance to prove that Drupal can provide easy concept charts!  ;)

So using mailing list is not an old habit, I would love to use other
funny things like forum and online tools, it's just the only way to
communicate and participate I have :-) sorry to bother you with poor but
expensive connexion consideration, it seems however we are the major
part of the world in this situation.

Again, I don't think forum are any different from a mail list in poor connectivity situation.

BTW, I am glad that a highly active SC member is concerned about poor connectivity.
This indeed is a huge problem around the world.

But you are focusing on loading of HTML pages.
A far more serious problem we face is in downloading LibO itself.
Why does LibO continue to offer only full downloads; and not updates?

That will help people with poor connectivity tremendously!

Oracle Open Office offers update.
Their marketing brochure actually boasts of large savings based on this single difference.
So why does LibO not talk about "online updates" as a development goal at all??

Also, since Oracle OO also is open source, adopting that part of design/code would be possible,
right?

Regards,
-Narayan