Hi Andrea, *,

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Andrea Pescetti
<pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
Christian Lohmaier wrote:
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

Well, for the Web part I still believe that a consistent user interface
would be a big advantage.

Yes, a consistent user interface, but that doesn't imply that it
actually must be the very same tool, does it?

And even that: Duplicating the extensions site would be a waste of
time and efforts. There are already two repositories, the OOo one, the
FSF one. It would be bad if there would be another one, just for the
sake of having it.

I'm not saying this, and actually I'd better not say what I think about
making a new extensions repository. But the Steering Committee
blacklisted the OOo extensions site on day 1 (the release notes stated
that references to the OOo extensions site were a mistake) and committed
to using the FSF repository.

Oh, it is a difference between changing the "Get new extensions" link
within the office and completely avoiding the OOo extension
repository.
IMHO it would be a bad thing to deny its existence and only refer to
the FSF one.
But well, that's a side aspect.

[...]
the Silverstripe demo (and of course Drupal too) seems to
support translation of the single pages: but is that what you want?

Well, this is a reiteration of what has been discussed already. No, it
is not *all* that we want. That's why I did put the subsites

I honestly believe it is impossible to have both translatable pages and
subsites; it just doesn't make sense.

In my eyes it does make sense. Of course it doesn't make sense to
tranlsate the pages of the french native-lang project, or those of the
german-lang project, but it does make sense to translate the main
support, the main welcome, the main about pages. I.e. those pages that
are not related to any specific group, but to the whole foundation,
the complete libreoffice page.

Put aside the fact that both systems support them, how do you
see translatable page as an advantage here?

See above, in my "vision" it avoids additional duplication in areas
where the collaboration is not language-specific, but still people
from many languages are involved.
But of course one doesn't need to use the feature.

By the way, an important requirement is of course the ability to use the
CMS in your own language: from http://translate.silverstripe.org/ I see
that German and Slovak are the only OOo languages with a > 90%
translated interface,

That probably is very misleading, as there aren't that many strings in
the UI anyway, and a casual editor will not see all the strings, and
on the other hand it is rather easy to complete the translation, but
nevertheless a valid point.
But thank you very, very much for bringing some additional points to
the discussion, and not the 20th iteration of the very same issue (I
really mean it).

ciao
Christian