On 08/16/2017 04:45 PM, Luca Daghino @ Libero wrote:
Il 14/08/2017 06:16, Tim-L--Elmira-NY ha scritto:

I am just MAD at my ASUS X751S laptop.

Windows updated itself to a newer version of Windows 10. That, again, dumped the GRUB system to be able to boot to Ubuntu-MATE 16.04LTS. I have been trying to get it working for over 14 hours.

Suggestion
Virtualize windows and solve your problem :)

NO I cannot do that.  Wish I could.

If/When I need it to go to a warranty repair service, I have to give them a Windows password so these people can test it out before and after they do the work. If there is only Ubuntu installed, then they will tell me it is Linux that is part of the trouble.

Same with Internet access companies - it is your router that the problem so you MUST use ours at $10 a month, even if their wifi range does not cover all of your apartment/house, let alone 10 floors down to the green-space under my window.

I gave the repair people the Win10 and Ubuntu passwords, but it came back with a lot of Windows changes - including the splash and background images messed with. At least most of the data and Win10 packages remained the same.

Right now, if the hard drive is big enough, I give Windows 10 between a third to a forth of the total drive. The rest goes to Ubuntu. Right now on the ASUS laptop I gave Win10 about 200 GB of space and then gave the rest to Ubuntu. 40 GB partition for the "/" root folders and a few GB for the swap partition. The rest goes for the "/home" partition. Hopefully, this will allow me to keep my data when I have to install Ubuntu from scratch again.

The laptop I am typing from has only 500 GB so I split it in two. I need enough space to run some space hungry packages and its data that only works on Windows. It does not work correctly installed on a Virtual Windows "box" or via WINE. Most of this stuff is the Corel PaintShop package and the printing of labels directly onto CD. or DVD, media.

I decided, for now, not to install these packages onto the ASUS Windows partition till I fix all the issues. I do not want to waste time and "hair" dealing with repeat installations of the Win10 partition and its software.