Hi :)
VirtualBox gives an option  to either create a virtual-drive or use an
iso.  The virtual-drive would then be a large file sitting on your real
hard-drive.

You can then use the menus at the top of VirtualBox to set-up the Windows
installer Cd to be read by the Virtual Machine either directly as an iso
(as a virtual cd/dvd-drive) or by reading the real world cd/dvd-drive
attached to the physical machine.

It might be that it prefers .img rather than isos but both are pretty much
the same, just different formats for the same thing.  I think VirtualBox
can handle both but may make it easier to use one rather than the other.
Also VirtualBox can use various types of virtual hard-drive.  There is an
internationally agreed one that works on many different vms but, of course,
Oracle prefer that you use their own format.  I tend to use their own one.

In terms of hardware in times gone by people have been able to use one
Windows licence as part of their dual-boot, and then re-use it on a virtual
machine.  The standard argument was that "it is the same hardware".  Now
that virtualisation is more mainstream the licensing people at Microsquish
might not be quite so bamboozled but it really is the same hardware and you
are only using the licence once.  Another successful argument used to be
that it was just a reinstall to the same hardware and just not even mention
virtual-machines at all because it's a technicality that they don't really
need to know about.

If using Virtual Machines is still new then it might be a good idea to
set-up a virtual machine and install Fedora, or Ubuntu, or Mint to it - or
try running a "LiveCd/Dvd" session in the virtual machine.  Then you can
build and destroy quite a few virtual machines without having to deal with
licensing issues.  A few "distro hoppers" use virtual machine to test-drive
distros that they have never used  before or to experiment and play
around.  It's a good way to learn and then installing Windows should be a
fair bit easier.  It's what i do each time i try using virtual machines
because i never use them often enough to be really comfortable with them.
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

On 7 December 2016 at 13:22, Philip Jackson <philip.jackson@nordnet.fr>