On 11/27/2016 10:37 PM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
Hello,

H. @ 2016-11-27 19:00 GMT:

On 11/20/2016 03:13 PM, Ricardo wrote:
El 2016-11-20 14:45, Virgil Arrington escribió:
<snip>

Since Markdown is a pure text file with formatting marks inserted, you
could easily edit such a file with LO. It sounds like what you're asking
is a way to convert the Markdown file to a LO format. I'm not sure of a
direct way of doing that. You might try Pandoc, an online file converter.

<snip>
Pandoc can be installed on any system, but only recent versions support ODT, so you need to look
with version if offered by CentOS

http://pandoc.org/

Regards,
Ricardo

I have installed pandoc and tried to converted two markdown documents to ODT opening them in
LibreOffice  4.3.7 under CentOS 6.8.

It seems Pandoc modifies the LO styles, setting fonts to Arial, Times Roman etc. which are not
available in LO. Pandoc also did not assign the default list style to lists, nor did it handle
tables at all. Although tables are not part of the core markdown they are part of a common
extension.

I would have preferred pandoc to use whatever the style settings are in LO,
not trying to change anything.
Actually it does not work that way; pandoc cannot guess what styles are used
by LibreOffice. If you have written your two documents using markdown they
simply cannot use LibreOffice styles "in advance". I think that what's really
going on with Pandoc is that it has default settings for each type of export
filters. Arial and Times Roman are fairly common fonts and by default
LibreOffice can use them with no problem.

On the other hand, using Markdown in my experience does not really make me
expect to have nicely laid out documents (like with LibreOffice or LATEX for
instance). Markdown is fundamentally a web and transitional format, made to
process text on websites or online documentation. If you are looking for rich
and complex styles I suggest to stick to LibreOffice or other kinds of tools
such as LATEX.

Best,

My point exactly: pandoc knows that I am converting from markdown format to LO format. It should
not define new fonts or font sizes for the various parts of the markdown document, only make
anything tagged Header Level 1 in the markdown document become Header 1 in LO accepting whatever
font, font size and other style information I have defined in LO. It should not convert Header
Level 1 in markdown to Times, Arial or any other font at all, this has nothing to do with whether
LO has compatible fonts or not.

I have never tried to use my markdown editor for defining "rich and complex styles" and I thought I
had made that clear several times.

I think there are frequent misunderstandings on list why and how some users want to use a markdown
editor to create document content leaving the formatting to LO, OO or whatever their word processor
- or slide presentation package - is.

I would like to add that I have pandoc 1.9.4.1 on my computer running CentOS 6.8, apparently pandoc
1.10 has expanded support for markdown to also include tables and other features.