I am in the same boat as the OP. I have searched for a quick, simple
solution to this for several years, always smiling at the discussion boards
dismissal of it as a needed add-on... Just now decided the current solution
remains to find someone with a copy of Word and use it for the 5 minutes it
would take to do this. The 300 images in the documents I am working with are
secondary to the text, but they are nice to have. The .odt file is
occasionally emailed back and forth for editing of the text.  The original
file I am working with was created by others less technical and they
embedded huge images. The production process will eventually led to an
InDesign or Web based product but for now the ability to email the files
back and forth is important. A single menu option to "Save As and Compress"
to A. Small, B. Smaller or C. Smallest Image size would be awesome. But
today I'll just take the files on a flashdrive to my neighbor next door...