At 12:56 24/09/2014 -0400, Jomali Noname wrote:
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM, J. Van Brimmer wrote:
I am creating some lesson handouts for a class I'm going to be teaching. I have to email them to our secretary, who has to read them in MS Office for printing. In the document I enter a short text line, press Enter, then I type in three dashes, press Enter, and waula, I have a horizontal line for the students to write their answers on.

This works fine as long as I stay in .odt format. But if I save the document in .doc format, and then open the .doc file in LibreOffice, some of the horizontal lines are missing.

My preferred way to insert horizontal lines is to insert a right tab after the explanatory text, format the tab with a bottom border, and move it to the place I want the line to end. The tab position and formatting hold for subsequent paragraphs, so you can make as many new lines as you need. When you need to change the tab position, you can do so freely. You also can insert as many right tabs on a line as you need.

I haven't tested it, but I believe tab formatting and position is preserved when exporting to [W]ord.

I have, and it is.

Brian Barker