Hi :)
Pdf is the best route imo.  Note that the advantage LIbreOffice offers here
is that it makes uncompressed Pdfs fairly easily, or at least with
loss-less compression instead of making things a bit fuzzy.

You'll still probably need to use boring and over-used fonts such as Times
New Roman, Arial or for that wacky, friendly look the infamous Comic Sans
to fit in with whatever he/she is likely to have on his/her machine.
Students love dull boring old stuff don't they?

There is another neat trick if you are going to give him/her the files on a
usb-stick and be able to click a couple of things yourself.  The Portable
Apps initiative
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable/
It makes the programs/apps available without having to install them onto
the Windows machine.  Then when you unplug the usb-stick the program
becomes unavailable again.

It might be worth testing this before relying on it.  I'd want the Pdf on
the same Usb-stick and easy to quickly email in case her machine is tooo
locked down.

I'm not sure how to help with the fonts but maybe it's something to think
about next time.

Why does she/he "have to" read them in MS Office anyway?  I'd bet she
doesn't use MS Office to read Pdfs.  At some point people decided it was ok
to have 2 pieces of software to read documents.  Why not a third?  It is
possible for her to have both MS Office for her own use and LibreOffice to
handle documents from people who don't want to pay exorbitant fees for
malware infested vendor lock-ins.  Do all the students also 'have to' buy
into MS Office because the staff are given it for free?

Is it morally right for teachers to force their students to buy into
something in order to help ensure the staff get it for free?  (Sorry, just
trying to give you arguments but they are unlikely to win you any fans!)
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)