Stuart,

Update and status report - good news! -

1. I've installed Version: 4.3.0.0.alpha1 Build ID: 46cfcd5a05aa1d13fecd73f5a25b64b8d8dd6781.

It's at least as solid as ver. 4.1.6.2 was for me. I'm still having "vector::_M_range_check" crashes - but only in one particular situation. As long as all my work is in one sheet - no errors at all. What a relief! But moving data to another sheet crashes it under a very specific situation.

I'm working on a replication dataset so I can file a bug and maybe see this problem removed completely while it's still an alpha. That would be fantastic. I'd also be actually contributing a little to development, and I'd love to do that.

So, all the work that's gone into this new version has sure paid off for ME, and I'm very grateful.

2. I installed 4.3.0.0 in parallel with 4.1.6.2, in case I had to revert to that, but right now - about 25 minutes into it I don't see that happening. Better to go forward, I think. My experiences can then help to improve the code, maybe.

3. I installed GNUmeric. Gaaaack! Not good. It was incredibly slow. To insert a single new row in one sheet took about 50 seconds. More complicated things took even longer. It wouldn't copy formatting, and I could NOT find a format painter, which I simply must have. A total no-go for me. But, worth a look.

So, as of now, I'm back in business and moving forward, and that's a much better place than I was yesterday - all of which was devoted to trying to resolve this problem.

Thanks for your help for pushing me into 4.3. I had to study up on a few things, but the LO wiki material was extremely helpful and clear, and it solved all problems that came up.

Onward!

Tom