Well there are three main issues that meet here and it helps me to keep them
separate. I hope I am not confusing matters further by describing them.

1) Unicode, which  your system supports, the standard characters that the
system understands.
2) The Fonts you are using and are installed on your system, the characters
they support.
3) Libreoffice using and depends on Unicode and the fonts.

A little history.
Unicode 5.0 was released July 2006. It encoded 99,089 characters.
Unicode 5.1 was released March 2008. It encoded 100,713 characters.
Unicode 5.2 was released in October 2009. It encoded 107,361 characters.
Unicode 6.0 was released in October 2010. It encoded 109,449 characters.
As of today 6.3 is the current version.
There is plenty of space left before the million + spaces are filled.
Unicode 5 has a gap between U+1D7FF and 2F800

On my system Ubuntu 12.04 with LibreOffice 4.2 using the DejaVuSans font.
 U+1F637  gives in DejaVuSans 😷 but the "fork and knife" character
(U+1F374) which is a part of Unicode 6.0
 and is not in the font shows up on my system as 🍴 or a blank box. I can
insert the face as a special character, and both the characters using the
keyboard U+1Fxxx

So it appears the system recognises Unicode 6.3. The font recognises the
face but not the knife and fork and LibreOffice uses the two.  If I had a
font with  the correct Unicode knife and fork, I assume that would also show
up. But you will need a font that is new enough to show the character.

Hope this helps.. Peter