Hi, Peter!
Peter Maunder wrote
Is their any reason you are still using the MS CP936 on your system rather
than Unicode.?

This is for downward compatibility with older programs not supporting
Unicode. Every Windows distribution has this option, in Win7 it's in Control
Panel→Region and Language→Administration→Language for Non-Unicode programs.
It by default the corresponding code page for your OS language. Unicode
programs use UTF-16 and non-unicode ones use CP936. Windows does the
translation for API calls.I list this out because I have experienced
language encoding issues with programs originally in English, notably with
commandline applications like Perl. Windows is notorious for having Unicode
bugs in its commandline interface.
Peter Maunder wrote
���� (the replacement character) are a different matter and often found
when you cut and paste in windows system when the character sets do not
match.

Thanks for pointing out this difference. I agree with your opinion that LO
conforms to Unicode Standard.But the problem remains that LO could not
display a glyph though the right font has been set. This is not a single
case. Actually all glyphs not exposed in the Special Characters dialog for a
certain font cannot be displayed, despite that the font supports them. You
can test this using FreeSerif, Code2002 and Segoe UI Symbol.
Peter Maunder wrote
When I type Ogham, which is very seldom, I just enter the Unicode directly
(I am using Ubuntu) using the keys.  LibO is set up to substitute for the
missing glyphs.

Is the direct Unicode input one feature of LO or that of the Linux system?
Windows has a limited support for direct Unicode input for code points
<=U+FFFF.

-----
"雷聲 靐䨻": if you can see four Chinese characters instead of blobs or question marks than your
browser/OS has a good support for Unicode and CJK characters! (P.S. the four chracters put together
means "loud thunder")