Hi Neil:

You don't mention whether you are solely using LibreOffice's language
support features or whether you are also using one of the OS-wide "input
method" utilities that are available.

I've found that, with Linux at least, Writer sometimes "helps" too much by
silently substituting fonts for you and doesn't always make good choices -
leading to it looking like one font (which you know has the character you
want) is in use, when it really isn't.

Take a look at whatever paragraph style is in use were you're having the
difficulty. Edit the style and, on the "Font" tab - assuming Writer knows
you're fiddling with multiple languages, you will see some sections called
"Asian Text Font" and "CTL Font."

Whatever these are set to, Writer attempts to use them when that particular
"Western Text Font" is in use and you choose another language. Go to one of
the places where you have the problems and see if changing those alternate
fonts solves your problem. If so, you need to hit the various style
definitions to get things working correctly.

I use the iBus input method (on Linux), and ran into similar difficulties
with Thai until I figured out how to make iBus and Writer play together
nicely (which they can and now do). I like using iBus (or an external input
method) because it works with any application I use in a consistent manner,
and I seldom ever need to use "Insert Special Character" since activating a
different keyboard is done with a simple keystroke, and when you type some
characters that ought to be combined (e.g. accents, diacritics and so
forth), this happens automagically so long as you have a font that knows
about such things.

I hope this helps you figure out how to get things working.

Frank