I apologize for the redundancy if this has already been answered.

Try this:

="my text "&text($r$2,"mm/dd/yyyy")

--
Jim

Dave Liesse <dsliesse@liessefamily.net> wrote:
Two simple questions which should be available through Help, but I
haven't been able to find anything.

1.  Is there a way to format content within a formula?  I need a cell
that concatenates a properly-formatted date to some text, but I can't
find any way to specify the date format.

2.  In conjunction with #1, is there a function to return an entire
date
in external format rather than having to get the month, day, and year
separately?  All I've found is a way to convert a human date to an
internal date.

Here's the background of what I'm trying to do, in case it's not all
clear above.  I'm using Calc to replicate a form produced by another
system; the other system only lets me go out a certain distance in the
future but my client wants it for a longer period.  What I create won't

be a perfect match, but it'll be close enough.  For this particular
job,
mainly due to other formatting issues, Calc is a better choice than
Writer.

The date appears several times on the form, so I naturally just want to

enter it once.  In two cases it appears after standard text that is
centered in its cell.  I build the cell formula as

    =CONCATENATE("my text",$r$2)

where R2 is the cell in which I've entered the date.  The formula as
written here returns the internal date, so I tried this one:

    =CONCATENATE("my text",MONTH($r$2),"/",DAY($r$2),"/",YEAR($r$2))

Unfortunately, this one gives me a single digit for the month and the
day, and what I really want is MM/DD/YYYY.  If I could just do this
inline it would be a lot easier than having to then figure out how Calc

will generate leading zeroes for me (which would also require inline
formatting or a lot more embedded functions).

Any ideas how to simplify this?

Dave

deleted