Hi :)
Errr, i don't think people were suggesting the o.p. had done anything
wrong or not followed instructions.  It's more likely that almost all
of us are remembering having been in a similar situation.  As we
become wiser we take more precautions against it but i bet most of us
can remember some horrendous incident where the loss has seemed
overwhelming at the time.

One time a 'prank' made my heart race so much i thought it would
explode out of my chest and the room started spinning and i
sat/stumbled heavily.  When i found it had just been a prank i didn't
have enough left in me to be angry.
Regards from
Tom :)