Hi :)
Errr, are you using the internal back-end?  You haven't connected to
an external back-end have you?  You should really be keeping your data
in an external back-end instead of having the whole database as a
single file.

Being able to do that is one of the main things that makes Base so
much more powerful than Access.  The internal back-end got tacked on
to make Base more familiar to people who have picked up bad habits by
using Access.  It seems to be a bit broken though.  Annoyingly the
Marketing Mailing List and all our flyers, posters and leaflets (at
least all the ones that mention Base at all) keep pushing people into
using the internal back-end despite the fact that users have even
experienced data-loss by doing so.  I'm tempted to ask you to take
this problem to the marketing list to get them to solve it but the
experts in Base are mostly on this list and will hopefully be able to
help with this issue.

It should be possible to export your existing tables into an external
back-end and this mailing list (note, not the marketing list) might be
able to help you with that.

The next smart thing about Base is that forms and reports can be, and
are best made in Writer or/and (i think) Calc.  So normal users who
are clueless about databases can read the data in a familiar setting
and use familiar tools to format and edit things around the
data-fields.  The forms and reports inside Base seem to be for
data-entry and people who have some clue about databases.

However i have never quite got around to getting to grips with all
this.  So hopefully some of the experts might wade in and set me
straight (again)
Regards from
Tom :)