At 15:50 17/09/2013 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
Page 21 starts with "Chapter 1" centered at the top of the page. I placed the cursor in front of it and entered a section. However, doing so added a line break so that "Chapter 1" is now on the second line. If I delete the line break apparently it deletes the section marker. I'm not sure of this, however, because I can't find a way to make section markers visible. It might still be there, because if I try to insert a section it shows Section 1 and assumes I want to label the new one Section 2.

I hesitate to say it, but I think you may be guilty of Microsoft-Word-think. What Word calls sections are actually section breaks, and you are speaking as if you are expecting Writer to behave similarly. But in Writer, sections do not break up the material but contain it. If you want your later pages to be in a section, you should select all that material before inserting the section - which will then contain that material. The earlier material would not be in a section, but the later material would. But sections are probably not what you need here.

And assuming I can figure out how to enter a section without an added line feed, or that my section is still there, how can I create a footer that exists only in that section?

Footers are a property of page styles, so its these you should be looking at.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker