On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:50:11 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> dijo:

I have LO 3.5.7.2 on Xubuntu 12.04. I am creating a document that has
18 pages of front matter, after which I want to start page numbering (I
don't need numbers on the front matter). I want page 19 to be numbered
page 1.

OK, I figured out that the footer is turned on in the page style.
That's cool, because I want a left and right page style anyway. I
modified the default left and right page styles to turn on the footer.

Then I applied the right page style to page 19 and the left page style
to page 20, after which I noticed that Writer had thoughtfully applied
right and left page styles to all the remaining pages in the document.
Cool.

Unfortunately, Writer also applied right and left page styles to the
first 18 pages also, so they now have the footer on them as well. I
don't want the footer on the first 18 pages. So I applied Default page
style to the first page, after which I noted that Writer had
thoughtfully applied default to page 2, and 3, and 4 ... and continuing
to the end of the document. No! I want only pages 1 - 18 to have the
Default page style. So I went to page 19 and reapplied right page, and
to page 20 and applied left page, and again Writer applied them to the
first 18 pages as well.

After some poking around I discovered that is controlled by the
Organizer tab, where you stipulate the following style. Unfortunately,
the selection is a drop-down that contains only the styles that
currently exist. You must choose one of them. There is no "None of the
above" option. Whatever you select, as soon as you apply that page
style to a page the style specified in the Organizer for the next page
will automatically be applied to the end of the document.

What this boils down to is that all the pages in your document must
always be the same style.

Should I just give up on Writer for this project?