At 17:29 17/09/2013 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
OK, I figured out that the footer is turned on in the page style. That's cool, because I want a left and right page style anyway. I modified the default left and right page styles to turn on the footer.

Then I applied the right page style to page 19 and the left page style to page 20, after which I noticed that Writer had thoughtfully applied right and left page styles to all the remaining pages in the document. Cool.

The Left Page page style has Right Page set as its Next Style - and vice versa.

Unfortunately, Writer also applied right and left page styles to the first 18 pages also, so they now have the footer on them as well. I don't want the footer on the first 18 pages. So I applied Default page style to the first page, after which I noted that Writer had thoughtfully applied default to page 2, and 3, and 4 ... and continuing to the end of the document. No! I want only pages 1 - 18 to have the Default page style. So I went to page 19 and reapplied right page, and to page 20 and applied left page, and again Writer applied them to the first 18 pages as well.

That's right: page styles flow from one page to the next except in two circumstances. You have discovered one already: Left Page and Right Page automatically alternate because of their Next Styles (I think). But the other thing you need here is an indicator of where you want Default to end and Left and Right to start. You do this with a manual page break.

You probably have a page break at the end of page 18 already. If so, remove this. Put the cursor at the end of the page 18 material and go to Insert | Manual Break... . Under Type, select "Page break", under Style select "Right Page" from the drop-down menu (page 19 will be a recto), tick "Change page number", and ensure the bottom thumb wheel reads "1". Click OK. VoilĂ !

What this boils down to is that all the pages in your document must always be the same style.

Not so: page styles change either naturally where one style flows into another on the next page (as your existing Left and Right), or else possibly at a manual page break.

Should I just give up on Writer for this project?

No.  Writer does this very efficiently.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker