Ken,

I'm about as anal as they come when it comes to fonts, and I've never really noticed much difference among the ones I use when it comes to white space around punctuation. I'll have to give them a closer look.

As to legal papers, many lawyers do use full justification in their legal briefs, but I never do. I don't know of any court rules that actually require full justification in court papers, so it is usually a matter of personal taste. I've always lived by the "rule" that justification looks more professional on first glance, but left aligned text increases comprehension. Usually, justified text is generated by adding extra white space in between words, resulting in inconsistent word spacing from line to line. Sometimes it will result in distracting rivers of white space down the page. And, when justification widens word spacing, it only exacerbates the width of two spaces between sentences.

LyX is a great program and it produces excellent results, especially with fonts having expert features such as old style numbering and true small caps. I've often used it myself, but I've found it works best when one accepts the LyX/LaTeX default settings. Changing the defaults can be somewhat challenging. Despite what I said above about justification, LyX/LaTeX does it extremely well, especially if you use the Microtype package. It makes microscopic adjustments not only between words, but *within* letters themselves to keep word spacing relatively consistent while reducing the need for hyphenated line endings. The result is stunning.

But, for normal business or legal work, I find LyX much too cumbersome for my needs. I much prefer LO in this setting.

Virgil

-----Original Message----- From: Ken Springer