From: T. R. Valentine
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2013 11:23 AM
To: LibreOffice-list
Subject: [libreoffice-users] spacing after punctuation

As a follow-up to our earlier discussion of one versus two spaces
following a full point/full stop/period, I offer the following passage
from /About Face: Reviving the Rules of Typography/ by David Jury
(typos mine):

The book most often relied on by professional typesetters (for English)
is Robert Bringhurst:

http://tinyurl.com/laus5fb

The two most capable programs for typesetting are TeX and Adobe
InDesign. For professional line endings and to avoid rivers Adobe
copied the multiline paragraph composition engine from TeX. TeX is free
and open source, so it was easy to do. I wish LibreOffice could do the
same.

However, Adobe added 'optical character kerning' to InDesign, a feature
not found in any other software. Optical character kerning works by
disregarding the metrics built into the font, including the kerning
pairs. Instead, it calculates the square area between each letter,
taking into account the curves and shapes of the letters, then spaces
the letters with equal area.