Greetings All,

I successfully warped up the application development project I described. Final end-of-project
stats were as follows:

Total
123,576 LOC's, 413 Modules (Classes/Modules/Forms/Reports), 264 Stored Procedures, and fin!

It has a Front-End (FE) which is the bulk of that code, an automated replication application transferring data from the production JDE ERP system for use by the application I built, and finally I developed for them an application server architecture to asynchronously process requests without tying up the FE application.

The legacy application this new one replaced had the following stats:
1,366 LOC's in 12 module(s)

So, getting finally back and replying...

Mark LaPierre wrote:
LibreOffice Basic".  My reply was intended to communicate the fact that LO Base is very limited when it
comes to serious uses.

I guess I can now see what you were communicating.

LO Base is not capable of connecting to an SQL based back end, and linking to a LO Calc spreadsheet at
the same time. <snip>

Is LO Calc spreadsheets really the preferable file format for LO Base data?

That one restriction was enough to disqualify LO Base from consideration for what I consider to be
a very simple application.

That is unfortunate.

Wolfgang Keller wrote:
At first I would like to use MySQL as the BE DB for use with
LibreOffice.

That's a B-A-D idea if you want to get your data back in a consistent
state with a certain reliability. Use PostgreSQL instead.

MySQL is trusted by this client organization to handle their production website... LAMP software
stack. Why would it suddenly not be reliable for back office Client/Server use?

I guess for the moment I will leave the DB requirements in Access, and later port them to Free
Pascal / Lazarus when I have the time to get up-to-speed with that cross platform serious
development tool.

Thank you all for your helpful responses. Actually last week I came across a link referring to
StarOffice... I had forgotten that origin in the LibreOffice history timeline!

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems