At one client, this week's production check-in of an application
developed in MS Office (mostly Access) 2007/2010 code is now up to:
110,315 LOCs, 380 Modules, 249 Stored Procedures, and counting...

They probably need that much code because VBA is so poor (while
also being quite vociferous), both as a language and concerning the
libraries available.

This is a client/server application backing up to a SQL back-end
database.

I am interested in the capabilities of LibreOffice Basic along the
same lines.

The documentation for LibreOffice Basic seems very space compared to
MS VBA.

An actual application with more logic than just CRUD would very
probably gain a lot if it was implemented in a rich, powerful language
such as Python which profits from a vast module library. Since the
Python API of LO (not only Base) is essentially undocumented, this
would require an actual GUI framework, however.

I have double class wrapped each logical type of data record. One
level is the DB table class, which manages INSERT / UPDATE / SELECT
type operations with a consistent interface. The next class layer is
a Validation class which handles DB class to Form Control mapping
(to/from) and also performs data type validation on the fields, marks
bad data fields red/error, and so on. Also I make extensive use of
in-memory collection classes: Thing / Things classes, where the
Things class contains one/many Thing class object instances.

With Python and a decent RAD framework (there are quite a few), you
don't need to implement anything like that yourself.

At first I would like to use MySQL as the BE DB for use with
LibreOffice.

That's a B-A-D idea if you want to get your data back in a consistent
state with a certain reliability. Use PostgreSQL instead.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang