Hi :)
If you need to clear a bit of space then try the standard
1.  Empty the trash can in your emailing system.  With more than 1 account you might need to do
each one separately

2.  In your web-browser (safari?) empty all the temp files, caches, password stores, cookies err
anything like that if you can find out how to easily
3.  Uninstall any programs/games you don't enjoy or use anymore
4.  Empty your OSes temp files and stuff if you can find out how to easily
5.  Empty the rubbish bin

You might be amazed how often people have several Gigabytes of stuff in their trash cans and are
completely unaware that the stuff in there is still easy to recover.  In your case it probably wont
create  enough room to install LibreOffice and even if it does it's still better to leave that
until after your holiday so that you have room for a photo or 2.

If you are really keen to move away from those older word-processors then you might like to use
AbiWord temporarily.  It's very light but still quite powerful although their Mac version is a
little old now
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11511/abiword
http://www.abisource.com/download/
http://abiword.en.softonic.com/mac

I found it awkward because last time i used it i could not get it to use MS formats by default.
Nowadays using ODF is less problematic because so many more people can read/write it.  So, Abiword
is probably a lot easier now as it's default formats are the ones LibreOffice uses by default too.

However, i think i would keep using the word-processors you are using at the moment and leave all
this until you get back.

Regards from

Tom :)