On 05/05/2013 at 15:22, Ken Springer <snowshed1@q.com> wrote:

But the company's goals should be to meet the user's goals first.  If
you don't meet your users goals, your level of success will never reach
the top.

Precisely: company's product should meet company's target users goals.

I am sure that I am NOT target of neither RedHat not Novell. Probably you (and
many other readers of this mailing list) are neither.

Also: as far as RedHat and Novell are concerned, LibreOffice is not their core
product. They are main contributors to LO, but LO is not their main point of
interest.

If LO or any product, open source, commercial, bucket making, is to
increase the number of users, you've got to pay attention to the users
that can not make the changes on their own.

In open source world, you are supposed to scratch your own itch (that is: send
patches or hire someone to do it for you). If you can't or are unable to, then
you might be better off somewhere else.

This is one of reasons why Linux and other open source apps never really get
substantial share of desktop market. Most desktop users can't scratch their
own itch, so they leave.

Of course there are some exceptions, most notably Mozilla Firefox. But this is
it: exceptions.

And I'm one of those users that possesses neither the  time, money, nor
interest in creating a change.  A change that may not be compatible with
any other LO produced file.

If you have no resources to offer, then I am afraid that you must just wait and
pray someone will pick idea up. This is bitter and unfair, but it's the way
world is.

The main difference between open source and closed source software is when main
force behind software is not interested in satisfying your request. In closed
source world, that's it. Dead end. In open source world, you still has some
margin of opportunity to see change made. But this is possibility, not
necessity. It's not like open source software get every feature anyone has
ever requested.

I think it's important to understand specificity of open source software. It is
definitely not for everyone.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski