Hi, Mirosław,

Interspersed reply below.

On 5/5/13 4:08 AM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
On 05/05/2013 at 00:32, Ken Springer <snowshed1@q.com> wrote:

As I noted in private email, LO still has not assigned two bugs I filed
to anyone yet.  They are classified a low priority.  As I mentioned, the
issues are not low priority to me, so if they don't want to fix them,
I'll pay for a program where the developers do care to fix the low
priority issues.

This is how open source works.
There are some companies (in LO: mainly RedHat and Novell) that hire full-time
developers. They work on anything that helps reaching companies goals.
Also, there is bunch of guys who just hack in their spare time. They work on
anything they find interesting or solve their own problems.

I've known that for a long time, but others reading this may not.

But the company's goals should be to meet the user's goals first. If you don't meet your users goals, your level of success will never reach the top. You'll have a group of people bad mouthing your product, regardless of the product. People saying the product doesn't do what you want is OK, but people saying your product is broken is not.

If your issues does not fall to interest of any of above groups, there is
still chance to get it solved: hire a freelance developer who will get thing
done.

Simply for the sake of discussion... We should be talking about the average user of LO, not the those users that are capable of programming the changes, or knowing how go about hiring someone to do the job. If LO or any product, open source, commercial, bucket making, is to increase the number of users, you've got to pay attention to the users that can not make the changes on their own.

Because LO is open source, you are not on the mercy of some company. You can
take matters into your own hands and do something.

And I'm one of those users that possesses neither the time, money, nor interest in creating a change. A change that may not be compatible with any other LO produced file.

Or you can buy some other software. You don't have to use LibreOffice.

Exactly. For open source, I could try Open Office and Lotus Symphony. And there are 3 commercial products I'm going to look at, one of which may possibly be a better match for me than LO. I did not know of this product when I started with LO.

I first started with 8-bit computers, and would buy every new word processor that came out until I finally found one that worked for me. I never said the others were "crap", just that they didn't do what I wanted to do. :-)

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.3
Firefox 20.0