On 2012-11-22 12:35, Brian Barker wrote:
At 08:12 21/11/2012 -0500, Virgil Aonly wrote:
These questions raise an interesting design decision made by LibO.

When it comes to Autocorrect, I've noticed that, by default, LibO enables all of the Autocorrect options. LibO naturally assumes that, if I type a "(c)", what I REALLY want is a copyright symbol. It seems to me that is the same faulty assumption that has made people so frustrated with MS Word; the software publisher decide what people want and sets the defaults accordingly.

Every time I load a fresh install of LibO, the first thing I have to do is go into Autocorrect and disable nearly all of the options. I think it would make more sense for the default install to have Autocorrect disabled and allow the user to enable it as desired.

But think of the consequences. Remember that most users of any software use only a small subset of its capabilities. If automatic correction was hidden by default, many (most?) users would never know it existed. The fact that you can describe having to disable the parts you don't like shows that you have learned at least of the existence of the facility. I hope that's true of most users. The frustration may be evidence of didactic success!

Brian Barker

I follow the argumentation of Brain. The option list under tools would be the place to make. However, when clicking the Help button good explanations with example should show up that the user sees what will happen.