Girvin R. Herr wrote:

Rich Shepard wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Girvin R. Herr wrote:

Insert -> Picture -> From file
Hope this helps.

Girvin,

  That's what I kept trying but it would not open a file dialog box and
would not accept the file name in the text entry widget on the "picture"
tab.

Rich

<snip>

Okay, I was incorrect. I thought I did open a PDF in Writer. But it must have been Draw, not Writer. Sorry. I just did some work on this problem and discovered a way to do it. Here is what I did:

   In Writer,
   Insert -> Object -> OLE Object ->
   In the dialog that comes up, Click on "Create from file" at the top.
   In the dialog that comes up, Click on "Select..." to bring up the
   file browser.
   Select the PDF file you want to insert.
   Click on "Open".
   Click on OK.

The PDF file should come up in Writer as an embedded Draw OLE object. You will most likely have to adjust the frame margins on the page if you want the PDF object to cover the full page. You may be able to edit the PDF image by double clicking on the Draw window, which brings up Draw with the image. I say "may", because from my experience, some PDFs allow editing in Draw and some do not. I was not able to insert the PDF file directly into the Writer document. If you open a PDF file, it will come up in Draw and if the PDF has multiple pages, Draw will have multiple pages, something like Impress. Someone else suggested copying the image in Draw and pasting it into Writer, but when I tried that, it did not work. If someone has done that successfully, I would like to know how. Also, if the PDF is opened with Draw and saved as an odg file, one would think the odg could be inserted into a Writer document, but I was unsuccessful trying to do that. That said, there may still be other ways to do this. With enough time, those ways may be discovered.

Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr