Steve ,
I use a lot of EPSs in my documents.
We did also, but PostScript is slowly dying because of "no transparency". LO and OO handles well EPS, but you need a eps with "previeuw" to show a bitamp representation off the content. Making a native-PDF (using PDF-export) export the bitamp representation and not the vector data. Making PDF with a Postscript application like(PS2PDF) works very well and here the vector data are used, not the bitmaps. Using SVG is the future, Both LO and OO are fast advancing in there use of it, the major problem is that the current PDF export also export a bitmap representation and not the vector data, this was not so in older versions, LO promeses to fix this issue in 3.7 = (4.0) no news from OO.
These are usually the first to drop out with the lost image problem
(resolved by turning auto save off). I have linux and mac, so not sure
if EPS compatibility is reduced on win. I have a feeling on windows
the thumbnail image in many EPSs  is used instead of the actual EPS
vector data producing poor looking results. LO wasn't producing PDFs
well with EPSs (doing the same as win) so I print to PS and use PS2PDF.
steve